Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Wednesday with synchronous diaphragmatic flutter

So tired this morning!
Left the house at 6.33 which meant that I parked the car at 6.57 and walked through the door at 6.59.
In time, phew.

I finished work at 12 today (makes me say "yeah" at the time, but my bank account won't agree with me), so I had lunch at home and then I went to visit my grandmother.
My grandmother is ancient. She's almost antique. ;)
Last Wednesday she turned 93. Not bad, eh?
She still lives in the house that she shared with my Grandfather until he passed away in 1994. During the last two-three years my parents have made a lot of changes in her garden so that she doesn't have too much to take care of.
She's just had her hearing aid adjusted and she now hears better than in a long time. All the noise confuses her and turns into a murmur in her head, so she takes of the hearing aid when she goes for her daily walk.
Wow, imagine being able to turn your hearing off when the noise of cars and traffic disturbs your walk!
We talked, and I helped her with some sewing.
She can't see very well, she couldn't even see my face though I sat close to her.
She told me that she felt isolated because she could never look someone in their eyes (to me it felt like she looked me in my eyes, but she was only seeing a blurry oval instead of my face).
She said to me you are young and have both eyes and ears. I remember it was so much fun to be young! Do you think it is fun?
I answered that I enjoyed life, but I have nothing to compare with.

Then I thought, man I'm so ungrateful for everything I have!
My Grandmother was borned during the 1st World War. Sweden was poorer back then, and my Grandmothers father wasn't good with money. My Grandmother started working early, but she had to give all the money to her father who spent it all.
Then when she was a year older than I am now the second World War started. It lasted until she was 29. It was hard times.
I wonder if I one day will be looking back at my youth and wonder why I didn't appreciate it more. Maybe I'll be looking back in regret. I hope not, but sometimes you won't get wiser without hindsight.

Carpe Diem, someone once said, and it's so true.
Make the most of opportunities, feel happy (oh yes, you can choose) and be grateful.

As I sat there and talked to my dear old Grandmother I got synchronous diaphragmatic flutter, also known as "hiccup". :)
Hick
And then I heard my Grandmother go hick as well, making fun of me.
I couldn't believe that she had heard my hiccup!
I have grown up being used to shouting at her to make her hear; and now, after readjusting her hearing aid she can hear hiccups!
Hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment