Sunday, December 6, 2009

Sunday silence

It's Sunday, the second of Advent.
My parents got wireless Internet yesterday so it is with a feeling of pleasure that I use my computer upstairs, sitting in my bed.
Yesterday I listened to Yohanna on youtube. She's an Icelandic singer that participated in the Eurovision Contest this year. Her song "Is it true" was performed i English and she has also recorded versions in French, German and Spanish.
I browsed among her other songs and found some very good ones that I will listen to again. Walking on water for example.
It was when I was listening to her song Beautiful Silence that I thought to myself;
- Is it really possible to sing about silence?
Song is a great way to express thoughts and emotions.
But is it possible to describe silence, and your appreciation for it, with noise?
Doesn't that defeat the object?
One of my favourite songs is Depeche Mode's Enjoy the Silence and I think they have captured the beauty of silence by finishing off the song in such a way as they have.

Writing poems about silence makes more sense than songs. But should those poems be read out loud? Or should they be appreciated - in silence?
Sometimes we don't hear silence until we have listened to a sound and it stops.
Or maybe it's more of a being made aware kind of thing...

Silence is underestimated. Sometimes I feel like I can't hear my own thoughts until all the noise around me is silenced. I used to climb up on Castle Rock in the Valley of Rocks just to enjoy the silence. And maybe it's in silence, when we hear our own thoughts, that we finally can hear God?

No comments:

Post a Comment