Friday, December 11, 2009

Samuel Harfst

I listen to a wide variety of music, in my own opinion, that is :)
Some days I feel like Green Day, other days it's U2, or Whitney Houston, or Shawn McDonald, or Yohanna, or Kent.
It's always different.
One band that I can listen to no matter what mood I'm in is my favourite;
Samuel Harfst.
It's a German band that sings in both German and English.
It's simple music. Apparently it's called Neofolk music.
The lyrics are deep and profound.

The first time I heard a song by them was in England. A German friend played the guitar and sang their song "Das Privileg zu sein".
She had a powerpoint presentation with the lyrics in German up on a screen, but the girl doing AV seemed to have ZERO language skills so she never once had the right verse or anything up on the screen, it was always showing a wrong part of the song.
It was incredibly annoying, because it was a good melody and I could tell by looking at the screen that it was a very beautiful song.
I asked my friend where the song came from and she gave me the name of the band,
and I was stuck.
I listened to that first song, "Das Privileg zu sein" a countless number of times every day for like two weeks!
The rest of their songs are good aswell, though I'm not that into their English ones, there's more depth and beauty in the German ones.

I found an interview with the front man of the band, Samuel Harfst (yep, the band is named after him, surprise). I like them even more after reading that interview. He seems to be an amazing young Christian guy.
If you speak german; here's the link:

1 comment:

  1. Wow! It was so strange reading your post because it sounds EXACTLY like me. I was searching online about Samuel Harfst and came across your blog. You said you listened to "Das Privileg zu sein" numerous times for two weeks. Well, for the past week I've listened to it on an average of probably 3 times a day. I love it! My German friend showed me a song on Youtube and I saw this song by Samuel Harfst on the side feed. Ever since then, I've been hooked. This music is beautiful, and I couldn't agree more about his English songs. I do like them, but they don't compare to those in German. I'm learning German right now and so that's another reason why I enjoy this music so much. I keep searching online for English translations of his lyrics :-)
    Too bad I can't find them on Itunes :-(

    ReplyDelete